With minimal equipment and a quick and straightforward protocol,
students will use cell-free technology to visualize the flow of genetic
information and monitor transcription and translation in real time
rough fluorescence. This activity serves as an excellent interactive
tool for learning the central dogma of molecular biology and exposes
students to cutting-edge synthetic biology.
Illuminate transcription and translation with the BioBits™ cell-free system.
BioBits™ pellets are tiny molecular factories that can create a
variety of proteins, from brightly colored fluorescent proteins to
functional enzymes, without the need for cell culture. When dry,
BioBits™ pellets are dormant, but they can be activated by simply adding
water. Researchers have been using cell-free reactions in their
laboratories for years, with applications ranging from novel therapeutic
discovery to field diagnostics. Now the BioBits™ cell-free system makes
this cutting-edge technology accessible anywhere to anyone interested
in learning molecular biology and is an excellent teaching tool to
enhance biology education both within and beyond the classroom.
With minimal equipment requirements and a quick and straightforward
protocol, students will use the BioBits™ system to visualize the flow of
genetic information and monitor transcription and translation in real
time through fluorescence. This activity serves as an excellent
interactive tool for learning the central dogma of molecular biology and
exposes students to cutting-edge synthetic biology.
- Techniques utilized: Micropipetting, cell-free protein synthesis
- Time required: 30 min 10 min periods, separated by 8 to 72 hours
Level: Introductory to advanced.
The BioBits™ Central Dogma kit contains the following reagents:
- 32 BioBits™ pellets in 8-tube PCR strips
- DNA Sample A
- DNA Sample B
- Nuclease-Free Water
- P51™ Molecular Fluorescence Viewer or blue light transilluminator (460-480 nm, e.g. blueBox or blueGel) — one per lab group
- Note: if you have a P51™ viewer purchased before September 2019,contact us to request an orange filter with your BioBits order
- These reagents require fridge storage.
- BioBits™ pellets are best used within 3 months of receipt when stored at 4ºC.
Free miniPCR Learning Lab™ downloads:
If you cannot find the answer to your problem below then please
contact us or telephone 01954 210 200